Sunday 30 August 2015

Chelmsley Wood teenager completes charity challenge

A YOUNG daredevil recently took part in a tandem skydive to raise money for the local charity which gave him so much support growing up.
Declan Hughes, from Chelmsley Wood, decided to celebrate his 16th birthday with the leap of faith.
And the stunt saw a flurry of donations online; more than £500 has already been raised for Solihull Life Opportunities (SoLO).
Declan had become a member of the charity, which supports people with learning
disabilities, after he was diagnosed with ADHD.
He said he was hugely grateful to SoLO and gained a lot of confidence from sessions he used to attend at the Meriden Park Adventure Playground.
“Slowly, with support I was able to play without being judged if I got a little over excited,” he explained.
“I made many friends and gradually developed my social interaction skills.
“I am now much older and realise that the support I received from this brilliant organisation, gave me the capabilities to go on and interact with others, thanks to the social skills I gained.
“The support that SoLO provide, encourages children with diagnosed problems to find their feet and get the key skills which they need to interact with those they meet in life.”
SoLO’s chief executive Janet Down said that there had recently been an unprecedented number of people volunteering to raise money for the Walnut Close-based charity.
In recent months Lorna Hill has done a bungee jump, while Daniel-Jacques de Jonge is walking the Pennine Way – a 268-mile trek across the hills of Northern England.
“I am in awe at their ability and tenacity,” said Janet, paying tribute to the charity’s supporters.
To sponsor Declan go to www.justgiving.com/solo-skydive/

No comments:

Post a Comment