Thursday 21 April 2016

Chelmsley Wood man pays tribute to the duo who saved his life

LUCKY TO BE ALIVE: Andrew Johnson, from Chelmsley Wood, with PCs
Alan Hawthorne (left) and Christopher Whitehead.

A CHELMSLEY Wood man who crashed his car after suffering a heart attack at the wheel has met the two police officers who saved his life.
Andrew Johnson had gone into cardiac arrest while driving through the Binley area of Coventry, losing control of his vehicle and ploughing into a tree.
Fortunately the two constables who arrived on the scene were able to perform CPR on the gravely ill 52-year-old.
Following the incident, on November 30 last year, Mr Johnson was admitted to A&E. He has recently returned to his job as an operational supervisor following a recuperation period.
He has now met with PCs Alan Hawthorne and Christopher Whitehead to thank them for their actions last autumn.
"A consultant recently told me just how lucky I am to be alive, as there is only a five per cent chance of living through the type of heart attack I had if you are not in hospital," he said.
"I was just so fortunate these officers were on duty to get me out of the vehicle and give me CPR until the ambulance arrived.
"I have now started back at work full-time and although I will never be back to the person I was, I am still able to live a good quality of life."

No comments:

Post a Comment