Sunday 8 January 2017

Kingshurst rapper returns to where it all began

ROLE MODEL: Lady Leshurr
A RAP artist from Kingshurst – whose tracks have racked up millions of hits on YouTube – recently returned to the local venue where she first performed.
Lady Leshurr went back to the Youth & Community Centre, in Marston Drive, which she would often visit with her brother as a teenager.
“I just used to watch him rapping in that sweaty sweat box and I’d just be watching in awe [thinking] ‘I want to do this’,” she said.
“I taught myself how to DJ, I taught myself how to rap – everything really. Without this youth club, I wouldn’t be where I am now.”
The 28-year-old said that she hoped she could inspire today’s young people to follow their dreams. “The fact that now I’m being seen as a role model is overwhelming. I always used to think it’s never going to happen because I’m from Birmingham and I have an accent and I’m a girl.
“I want the younger generation to see me and think ‘ you know what, if she can do it, I can do it.’.”

No comments:

Post a Comment