Sunday 3 December 2017

Teenager takes top education award

SUM OF HER EFFORTS: Ellie De'Athe and the Grace Academy's Assistant
Principal Shaun Donald.

A STUDENT from the Grace Academy was among the star pupils recognised at the Solihull Borough Education Awards.
Ellie De’Athe was named as the borough’s Most Improved Maths Student, after impressing teachers at the Chelmsley Wood school.
Having been shortlisted earlier this year, the Year 12 pupil was hand-picked from a long list of nominees.
"In Years 7 and 8 I wasn’t good at anything and really struggled," she said.
"However, I hate failing so I made a decision to turn my life around. I started revising and revising and, for me, it was a great motivator to have competition.  My friend Sophie challenged me and, because she was my friend, it made it fun and we had a laugh.
"I knew I wanted to try harder and that is what I did.  I was always asked by my teacher, Shaun Donald, if I wanted to move up a set because he believed in me.  Shaun Donald was the main reason I got such a high grade in Maths."
Ellie is now considering going on to study criminology or photography at university.
Coun Ken Meeson, cabinet member for children, education and skills, said: "The judging panel were hugely impressed with the number of outstanding nominations and the winners can take great pride in being chosen from such a strong field."

No comments:

Post a Comment