Thursday 3 January 2019

Music star pays tribute to the estate she grew up on


KINGSHURST grime artist Lady Leshurr has spoken about the enormous debt she owes to the area where she grew up.
The performer, whose songs have attracted international recognition – and millions of hits – on YouTube, returned to the estate where she grew up for the recent radio feature.
The 28-year-old honed her skills at the local youth club, originally performing as ‘Lady L’ – although she expressed her regret that the facility had since shut down.
“I’m happy I was brought up in Kingshurst,” she said. “I wasn’t in an area where there was a lot of violence, a lot of drugs happening and stuff.
"I was actually in a very quiet area ... everything was pretty good growing up as far as going outside and being able to do what I needed to do. So Kingshurst is a big, big, big part of me as an artist.”
Despite being from one of the few black families in a predominantly white area, the artist said she hadn’t really encountered racism on the estate.
“None of that really affected the way I grew up or how I used to express on the mic.”
Though she originally feared her Brummie accent could hold her back, she now believes it is ”refreshing” to hear different dialects in grime music.
“I’m blessed because I’m just being myself.”
Returning to the premises where she had first nurtured her talents, she described it as “the best place”. The community centre, in Marston Drive, was a victim of cutbacks to facilities around the borough. “I wish it was still open, unfortunately it’s been shut down. This whole place shaped me as an artist  and MC.
“If it was open I would be able to show you guys the actual room where I recorded my first mix tape when I was 14. I mixed and mastered it myself ... and that’s just due to having the space and the facilities to be able to do that.
“So I will never, ever forget this place. This made me who I am. This created Lady Leshurr shall I say.”
The full hour-long programme is available on the Red Bull Radio website

No comments:

Post a Comment