Friday 27 March 2015

Other Side of Solihull - New monthly newspaper launched


It is almost exactly a year since I set up this blog to provide news, views and information on community events in North Solihull.
In the 12 months since my first post, I’ve been mulling over how to build on this project, and today I’m pleased to unveil the first edition of a new monthly newspaper dedicated to the patch.
You will notice that at this stage no trees were harmed in the making of the publication and to begin with at least, the title will be distributed via social media, the website Issuu and an email subscribers list.
I had thought long and hard about whether a purely digital newspaper would massively improve on the blog posts. After all, there remain many people who don’t have access to the internet and would greatly benefit from a proper paper and staples product. Was there really a need for columns and headlines if they were still stuck on a screen?



But having considered the matter at length, I think if nothing else this marks a clear statement of intent. Where the project goes from here, how long it lasts and whether there’s a possibility to produce a hard copy down the line will depend very much on the interest from within the community.
There is, I believe, a need to speak up for an area which for too long has been marginalised and made fun of – often by people who have never actually even visited. As someone who covered the patch as a newspaper reporter for the best part of six years, I am well aware that it is difficult to get the message out sometimes and I hope this paper, in conjunction with the continuing blog, will go some way towards remedying that.
In addition, we live in an age where a lot of people are writing off the importance of a local press. Publishing giants have made savage cuts; closing offices, reducing staff and axing titles altogether – always to the cost of quality journalism.
I’d like to think that this project shows the potential for new models of spreading the word and holding the powerful to account.
I’d welcome your thoughts, suggestions and -  above all - stories….

No comments:

Post a Comment