Wednesday 24 February 2016

Former footballing pro inspires Chelmsley Wood students

Students Decharne Shaw and Rosie Allen with PE
teacher Carl Davies and Christian Roberts
A FORMER professional footballer has given some sporting tips to students at the Grace Academy.
Christian Roberts, who made his debut for Cardiff City at just 17-years-old, dropped in at the Chelmsley Wood school to put a group of Year 9 students through their paces.
During the session - which was run in partnership with the Youth Sport Trust - the retired winger explained that hard work and a determination to succeed were useful qualities both on and off the pitch.
Christian, who also played for clubs including Bristol City and Swindon Town, said: "Young people have to make a decision to focus.
"If you look at my history as a person, I’ve achieved my dream but I have battled injuries and illness on and off the pitch and also lost my parents.  I’ve learned that the mental toughness and discipline you learn on the pitch can be applied to life.
"You need a tough mental attitude and the ability to work in a team.  It’s not all about your personal achievement but about the support behind you from a whole team of people.  This is important to realise whether you are at work, in your family or at school, you are still part of a team."
Rosie Allen, one of the students who took part in the training session, said: "It was a once in a lifetime opportunity and I thought he was a great coach. I would love to do this again sometime."

No comments:

Post a Comment