Monday 4 November 2019

Brave breast cancer survivor delighted to return to Chelmsley Wood beat

RETURN: PCSO Karen Ballard
A MEMBER of the Chelmsley Wood policing team has recently returned to full-time duties after winning her three-year battle against breast cancer.
PCSO Karen Ballard, 59, was diagnosed with the illness in spring 2016 and underwent a mastectomy and six sessions of chemotherapy and radiotherapy as part of her treatment.
The mum-of-two - who has been pounding the beat for some 15 years - said she had been overwhelmed by the positive reaction about her return.
"The breast cancer diagnosis was a massive shock but I was determined it would not change me as a person," she said.
"The treatment was necessary, but gruelling, and I was fortunate to have an amazing amount of support from my family and friends. Without having my husband Robert and children by my side I would not have been able to overcome it.
"I really enjoy my role as a PCSO and being able to come back full time was a huge motivation during the difficult times.
"I have been warmly received by everyone since my return; and I have been touched by everyone who has stopped to ask how I am doing."
The officer had previously been named PCSO of the Year in the Jane’s Police Review Awards in 2007.
West Midlands Police said that the force ran a breast cancer buddy initiative, to support anyone affected by the condition. It has also given its backing to Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which takes place each October.

No comments:

Post a Comment